What drives us to customize our rides?
We buy clothes and, we don’t normally customize them. In fact, we leave that to fashion designers! We buy appliances, lawn mowers, furniture and computers and for the most part, most of the time, they remain in stock condition as their manufacturers intended. Most cars remain in their original trim, but when it comes to our pick-up trucks, there is a need…almost an addiction to making them our own, customizing them and putting our personal “brand” on them.
We go about customizing our rides in grand fashion. The amount of money that consumers spend on customizing pickup trucks can vary widely depending on the specific modifications they choose to make. Some modifications, such as window tinting, bed liners and seat covers cost in the hundreds, other mods such as adding aftermarket wheels or upgrading the stereo system, may cost a few thousand dollars. On the other hand, more extensive modifications such as lift kits, custom paint jobs, and engine upgrades can cost tens of thousands of dollars or more.
According to a report by SEMA (Specialty Equipment Market Association), approximately 22% of new pickup truck owners in the US modify their vehicles within the first 90 days of ownership. The same SEMA report found that pickup truck owners spend an average of $1,900 on accessories and modifications in the first year of ownership. Overall, pickup truck customization is a growing industry, with the global automotive aftermarket expected to reach $486.4 billion by 2025, according to a report by Grand View Research.
It’s worth noting that customization spending can also be influenced by factors such as location, lifestyle, and cultural factors. For example, in some rural areas where pickups are commonly used for work or off-road activities, people may be more likely to invest in modifications to enhance their truck’s performance and durability. In contrast, in urban areas, people may be more focused on customization for aesthetic purposes.
No matter where you live, who you are or how you feel about it, we actually have solid reasons to tackle these customizations to our trucks:
- Personal expression: Customizing a vehicle allows an individual to express their personality, interests, and style. It is a way for people to make their vehicle truly unique and reflective of who they are.
- Functionality: Customizing a vehicle can also improve its functionality and make it better suited to meet an individual’s needs. For example, someone who uses their vehicle for work might add a toolbox or shelving to make it more practical for their job. It is worth noting that some modifications such as spray-on truck bedliners serve functionality (protection) and style (seamless, can be color matched) simultaneously.
- Emotional connection: People often form an emotional connection with their vehicles, and customizing it can enhance this connection. It can also bring a sense of pride and satisfaction when people see their customized vehicle on the road.
- Performance enhancement: Some people customize their vehicles to improve its performance. This can include adding upgrades to the engine, suspension, and wheels to make it faster and handle better.
- Resale value: In some cases, customizing a vehicle can also increase its resale value, especially if the customization is well-done and adds value to the vehicle.
So overall, pickup truck customization is a popular and growing trend, with many owners choosing to personalize their vehicles to meet their specific needs and preferences. Whether your modifications lean more toward function or form, your new (or old) ride deserves some love!